Sunday, July 18, 2010

What's in a name?


A few years ago, my intrepid travel companion Hildoug and I were tromping around the South, Georgia to be more specific. We spent some time in Atlanta and then made the drive down to Savannah. I wanted to see the city, but was really hoping for a Paula Deen sighting, or better yet one (or both) of her boys. I failed on all accounts. My Paula obsession hasn't let up yet. I'm still tempted to dress up like her for Halloween and walk around feeding people biscuits and dropping colloquialisms in my best southern accent.


One of the major thorough fares in Savannah is called Abercorn Street. I had mapquested directions to our hotel and it told us that our hotel was on this street (note: this is pre iPhone days). Now, I pride myself on my directional abilities. Let me loose in a city and I can find my way around no problem, and even if my subsequent visit(s) to the city is a few years later it's like I haven't even left and can still find things based on landmarks. Yes, I know, I'm awesome.

My directional genius was quickly rendered incapacitated upon entering the Savannah city limits (due to the humidity, perhaps?) I held course and continued to follow Abercorn street into downtown Savannah and then out into the boons. After driving in the boons for quite some time we did manage to locate a Piggly Wiggly and a major highway shortly after that. We were able to find our hotel (fyi: with no help from an iPhone or locals) which was actually nowhere near the downtown area. What stood out to me was the fact that we had a great time getting lost and I don't know if I'd ever laughed so hard before, or since then.

What in tarnation does this story pertain to, you ask? Well, this little experience led to the name of my blog. It's become my way to keep things in check. Life is a cornucopia of abercorn streets. There's really no way to avoid them, it's all about what you do with them. Hence the blog detailing my life: Abercornucopia.

Thank you, and good night.

1 comment:

SMandL said...

I'm digging that name!