Saturday, July 24, 2010

Waiting and The Way We Were

I'm cooped up at home today watiting for the Lawn Care guys to show up to take care of the jungle that is my backyard. They are now 2.5 hours late, so I'm thinking they might not show. Oddly, this is now the second time that I've been no showed by people I've set up appointments with. I guess everyone is just as reticent about Ivy removal as I have been for the past 7 years. Yeah, it's bad...real bad.

I've taken care of a lot of odds and ends while I've been waiting and am now treating myself to a viewing of The Way We Were. Just a few short lines sum up the whole movie for me (posted below **major spoiler alert if you haven't seen it**). It's heartbreaking really. Is it better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all? I'm still not sure, but it makes for a good movie plot!


Katie: I don't have the right style for you do I?

Hubbell: No you don't have the right style.

Katie: I'll change.

Hubbell: No, don't change. You're your own girl, you have your own style.

Katie: But then I won't have you. Why can't I have you?

Hubbell: Because you push too hard, every damn minute. There's no time to ever relax and enjoy living. Every things too serious to be so serious.

Katie: If I push too hard it's because I want things to be better, I want us to be better, I want you to be better. Sure I make waves you have I mean you have to. And I'll keep making them till you're everything you should be and will be. You'll never find anyone as good for you as I am, to believe in you as much as I do or to love you as much.

Hubbell: I know that.

Katie: Well then why?

Hubbell: Do you think if I come back its going to be okay by magic? What's going to change? What's going to be different? We'll both be wrong, we'll both lose.

Katie: Couldn't we both win?

~Later~

Katie: Wouldn't it be lovely if we were old? We'd have survived all this. Everything would be easy and uncomplicated; the way it was when we were young.

Hubbell: Katie, it was never uncomplicated.

Katie: But it was lovely, wasn't it?

Hubbell: Yes, it was lovely.

~Finally~

Katie: Your girl is lovely, Hubbell. Why don't you bring her for a drink when you come?

Hubbell: I can't come, Katie. I can't

Katie: I know...


No comments: