Friday, July 30, 2010

Heading for the Hills...literally

This week saw me making some big decisions and actually moving forward with them. I put in my notice at work and my last day will be August 26th, after which I'll pack up my stuff and head up to WA state for what I'm calling my last summer break before becoming a grown up.

Without boring you with all the details of what led up to this rather sudden decision, suffice it to say that it definitely feels like it's time for me to leave Lubbock. I've been dragging my feet on pulling the trigger for quite some time now. It also gave me the opportunity to set a boundary professionally that I think was much needed and will lead to good things for me in the future.

Although, the LBK lacks a few things that I desire, it does make up for it with lots of people that I love! It's been my home for 8 years now and is the place that I've lived the longest in my life. That little tidbit is crazy to me because it seems like only yesterday that my beat up Jeep made it to Lubbock packed to the brim with the basics necessary to start my life here. It's going to be rough, but I'm going to see how close I can come to making it out of Lubbock again with only what will fit in my car (plus a few boxes to be UPSed). That means everything's got to go, folks! So, if you are looking for couches, a washer/dryer, twin bed, kitchen gear, or any other odds and ends you should hit me up. For you, so cheap, almost free!

The scary part in all of this is that I haven't lined up a job yet. Moving home gives me some cushion to be out of work for awhile, but I know I'll go stir crazy if I'm idle for too long. I'm till hoping to line something up on the East Coast (NYC and DC keep beckoning me). I'm a little wary of the stigma that comes with being the creepy 30 year old doctor who moves home to live with her mother. Enter the "summer break" re-frame. Good to know all those years of schooling come with some practical applications. :]

Alright, breaks over, back to cleaning out my apartment. Seriously, how did I collect so much crap?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT?????? you can't leave Lubbock, you're an institution there :). Heather Brimhall