Tuesday, September 21, 2010

No Tell Motel or the Holiday Inn?

I blame the W Chicago for my affinity for nice hotels. It was by far the nicest hotel I'd ever been in and had the best perks. We were there for Hildoug's birthday in '09 and the W helped her celebrate with comped champagne one night and a free candle the other night. Hildoug and I were also entranced by the super fragrant flowers in the lobby and the fact that they changed out the welcome mats bidding us Good Morning, Afternoon, or Evening. How cute is that?

I love a good value and bidding for hotels on priceline gives me a little rush when I get a great hotel for a discount. I didn't go the priceline route on my roadtrip, b/c I wanted some more leeway in case my plans changed along the way. Instead, I went with Holiday Inn Express. Free internet and free breakfast? Sign me up! I thought that I'd also made reservations at a HIE in Yakima, but it turned out to be a regular Holiday Inn. At first, I was bummed I wouldn't be getting a free breakfast, but the super nice decor of the hotel (and free wifi) totally made up for it. I realized that I want ammenities for my dollar, but will do with a few less perks for a nicer hotel room. Hotels I hate are the big chains (i.e. conference hotels where I'm forced to stay in order to be able to run up to my room between sessions). They are the worst! Sure, the room is a bit nicer, but they charge you for everything! Give me free wifi or give me death!

What's your bottom line?


2 comments:

Amanda said...

Agreed! Free wifi is a must.

Megan said...

I hate having to stay in conference hotels that are "discounted," when the discount is practically non-existent, and they charge for Internet, parking, and offer no complimentary continental breakfast.

On the flip side, I worry a lot less about sitting on the bedspread in places like that.