Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Observations from the Dock of the Bay

~I love that you only have to go a few blocks to end up in a different neighborhood and that each neighborhood has its own identity. Hildoug was bombarded all weekend with the question, “Where are we now?” She politely obliged and showed me where we were on the map. I love me some maps!

~Fleet Week = lots of men in uniform. ‘nuff said.

~Berkeley has a pretty campus, but a crappy stadium. Porta-potties? No thanks, I'll hold it.

~People in San Francisco are really friendly. On different bus rides I had one man offer me a cookie, another offer us a beer, and yet another eavesdrop on our conversation and share his wisdom about how they got the lights on the Capitol Building to change colors and his thoughts about vajazzlers.

~There are lots of hidden jems all over the city. Hildoug took me out for an amazing early birthday dinner at the Tonga Room. It felt like a supper club you’d see in an old black and white movie (the presence of a bunch of Marines in dress blues might have helped that a bit too).

~I like drag queens. I kind of think I might be a drag queen trapped in a straight woman’s body.Big hair, over the top make-up, costumes and lots of sparkles? Sign me up!

~The Golden Gate Bridge is truly gorgeous. We were down in the Marina watching the Blue Angels on a super clear day and it was an amazing back drop.

~People have such pride in and love for their city. It's cool to see.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I am watching the San Francisco Giants baseball game right now, and was just thinking how great it would be to live in San Fran. Such a great city! Then after I posted, I saw you had posted and whaddayaknow...you were talking about SF too. Glad you're having a good time.

Megan said...

Fleet week. Sounds very Sex and the City.

Michelle Panik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Panik said...

I hope you gave the drag queen some hair tips. Loose and messy is so late 90's.