Tuesday, October 7, 2008

HomeSchoolers in Love

I love me some TLC. Yet another way that I can fulfill my voyeuristic tendencies. I love all of their documentary-esque shows. I caught a new one last night called "17 Kids and Counting". It chronicles the lives of a family of (you guessed it!) 17 who live in Arkansas. Oh yeah Dad's name is Jim Bob and the kiddos are home schooled. I'd heckle, but it's too dang easy and the family really is super cute. www.duggarfamily.com

This new installation with the family showed their oldest getting engaged and talked about their rules for dating or "courting". Basically, this involves the constant eagle eyes of a chaperon and no kissing. When I first heard them describe it I gave it my best Whitney Houston, "Ahhh hell to the no!" I was chatting with a friend about it and she brought up the point that if they didn't know what they were missing it wouldn't be all that bad.

She makes a good point. When I looked at it through that lens it all seemed pretty sweet. Then I had to crawl back into the gutter and started pondering what the honeymoon would be like. One word: AWKWARD.

On a related side note, I was very happy to see that the family had embraced the glory that is hair gel. I will miss Mama Duggar's bouffant though.

1 comment:

Michelle Panik said...

Sounds like I need to check out this show!